Saturday, September 3, 2016

As Week 2 Ends... Week 1 Begins with a Bug

It’s so crazy.  As I finished Week 1 for five classes, I started Week 1 for the sixth class.  That class was crazy.  It had to be because I needed a story to tell.

I’m going good, and on a roll teaching the class, and then I see a bug come out of the projector.  I react because it looks like a wasp.  I’m allergic to bees and wasps.  I carry an Epi-Pen just to be safe.  I make a comment, yes, a bad move on my part, but I got scared.

I tell the class, “Uhh, there’s a bug in the projector.  I’m nervous because I’m allergic to bees.”

I’m really thinking, “If this thing stings me, and I go out, somebody reach in my purse and get my Epi-Pen so I don’t pass out.”

They look at the projector, and then we go back to working.  I check the projector a couple of times, but the bug disappears.

After about 15 minutes, the bug decides to leave the projector and fly around the room.  I hear all kinds of screams, from both the girls and guys.  I’m trying to be calm because I don’t want to get stung or bit.  The bug flies close to a couple of people’s heads, they wave it off as they do a matrix movie move to avoid the bees.  I try to get them to calm down so they don’t rile the bug up.  It flies back into the projector.

I shake my head, then say, “I don’t want to have to dismiss class, but if that bug keeps flying around, I may have to.”  They laugh and say various comments.

I try to restart teaching, but about three minutes later, the bug flies around the room.  The scene is the same, people screaming, people ducking, and people moving.  The bug flies back into the projector.

A female voice says, “Can we just leave, please?”

I shake my head and try to regain control… BUT NO!

The bug flies out again.  This time, I think it flew by everyone’s head.  One of the female students swats it with of all things, the syllabus for the class.

The bug falls to the floor, and someone screams… “She got it!”  I ask, “Where did it go?”

Three or four people point to one of the female student’s back, causing that student to jump from her seat.  I’m standing at the front of the room willing myself not to make the scratchy throat noise I usually make when I have an allergy attack.

I’m screaming to myself… “Don’t you dare do it!”

My ears are itching, and I’m shaking my head rapidly hoping it will help alleviate the allergy pain I am having, but nope.  It’s not working.

So, I’m standing there trying to control the class, keep from grossing the students out with my scratchy throat noise, while trying to figure out where a bug went.

The bug flies up in the air, one of the girls jump out of her and run to the back of the room.  The bug lands in her chair.  All the girls in the two rows next to where the bug is have jumped up out of their seats.  The guys, they are all sitting in their seats.  I shake my head, take off my shoe, and smash the bug with my shoe.  The bug falls off the chair onto the floor.  He moves a couple of times.

One of the girls screams, “Oh my god, he’s still alive!”

I shake my head.  All the girls who are standing up are looking at the bug.  Again, the guys are all sitting down in their seats.

I go to my purse, grab my body spray, and spray the bug.

I say, “He’s dead now, and the room is gonna smell pretty.”

I grab a piece of paper and pick up the dead bug.

A male voice says, “What was that you sprayed?  Air freshener?”

I say, “No, it’s body spray.”

I regain control of the class, and then go back to teaching, shaking my head inside myself the whole time.  What a way to end the first class at the sixth school!

Talk about Life Writing.