Wednesday, August 17, 2016

My Tribute: Grandmama


















I am an English Professor. I let my students know  that I am a writer by sharing stories with them about how I became a writer and the writing I write. One of the stories I tell is about my introduction to writing.

My grandmother has written a journal for as long as I can remember. Each time we would go visit her, I would sit at her feet and watch her journal at the end of the day. I always wondered what she was writing and she would say, “something about the day.” That is where my fascination with writing began.

This year when introducing myself to my students and from now on, it will hold a special meaning for me. I will be introducing myself to them, while I remember my grandmother’s gift to me, even more than usual.



Grandma, I wonder what you’re writing in your heavenly journal these days?
Thank you for blessing me with a special gift to share with the world. I promise to make you proud with each word I write.

Your granddaughter,
Deartra